Why Create a Performance Baseline
- Provides a quantified starting point for optimization efforts.
- Provides a point of reference for future performance comparisons.
- Documents the server.
- Provides a reference point for capacity planning.
Bringing it all Together
*The Baseline Performance Assessment Report
- Provides documentation of the current state of the server and instance
- Provides a reference point for future performance comparisons and capacity planning
- Provides a starting point for optimization efforts
* Baseline Performance Assessment is not a SQL Configuration and Performance Review (SQL-CPR®).
- Not intended to replace a thorough server and instance performance review.
* An opportunity to recommend server or instance configuration changes
* Backup and archive the raw data
If it’s not broken, then it doesn’t need to be fixed.
– At least for now.
Monitor performance regularly.
Maintain a performance database.